Ascribed Identity: Slow, hardworking, leader, quiet, pink and Disney lover, kind/caring/sweet, I like challenging/brave
Avowal Identity: slow and fast, hardworking, leader, lazy, pink and Disney lover, afraid of new things, Asian
Many people, especially my friends in Japan, ascribe me as a slow person, and this is the same as I think, but in different places and at times. I have not liked to be rushed in Japan. I always walk slowly because I like to see the view or shops around me, and I act slowly. Always my friends used to wait for me to get ready to go home together after school. However, I don’t think I’m that slow when in the United States. Many American people walk so fast, and eat so fast, and I don’t like to be left since I feel kind of guilty to keep others wait for me. Some of my friends have told me that I eat faster than before.
I didn’t think I was hardworking until two year college in Japan. In Japan, students have to take hard exams to enter college or university, and students tend to be lazy in college or university after those exams. In my case, I had decided to study abroad in the US, so I studied English hard and I worked so hard to get better scores in school. Many classmates told me that I was working hard, and I also realized that I was. On the other hand, I also like to be lazy on the weekends or when I have time. I like spend time watching silly TV shows and sleeping a lot.
While in college, my classmates in college thought I was a good leader and I admit that I was a leader even though I don’t know if I was good. When we had a festival in college, I was a leader of my class to perform dance. Every other leaders in my class were not responsible, and I couldn’t help being irresponsible for my work. It was surprising to me that I could work well as a leader. I used to think that I was not kind of person who leads others until high school, since I was slow and I thought I liked to follow others. Since that, I have worked to run some events and for classes or school.
My friends, family and I recognize that I like pink and Disney. Many of my stuff, like laptop, pen case, backpack, pillow and bed sheets, and so on, are pink. I have so many things with Disney characters. Therefore, they also think I am sweet. It also helps them think I am sweet that my hobby is scrapping and I like to make cards for my friends. However, I just do it because I like it and I’m happy to see their smiles, and I don’t do it to be sweet. It’s just a part of my hobby.
Some of my friends in America think I am quiet, which I don’t think I am. I am quieter in the US especially when I talk with so many American students since I’m afraid to make English mistakes in front of many others and to be assertive like many Americans. I want to talk, but I’m too sensitive about standing out because we are taught not to be so due to our culture. It might be true that I am quiet, but I talk a lot with my best friends in the US and when I’m alone with just a few people. I also tend to be talkative while in Japan and never be quiet.
My friends and professors in Japan think that I like challenging and new things. It is because I chose to go abroad to study which means living apart from my family and friends in a new place and going to school there. They say they can’t do it and I am brave. I was so determined about going to the States without hesitation, and I was looking forward to meeting new people and seeing another side of myself in a new place. On the other hand, I am always very afraid to start new things in my home country like starting a new part-time job. Sometimes I have to face difficulties when I’m in my home country and nobody hesitates to be strict because I’m expected to know basic knowledge and courtesy. To me it’s harder to face them in Japan than in America. People in America tend to be kind to me and try to tell me details, since I’m from other country.
I also have come to think that I’m from Asia when I see some differences with people in the US, like lifestyles, beliefs, and values.
Questions:
Have you realized your identity for the first time when others told you?
Have you ever noticed your other side when you’re in foreign country? If you have, what was it?
I have learned of my identity with the help of what others have told me. I don’t think that we can begin to know everything about ourselves without the help of others. I appreciate when people who are close to me have been honest and shared with me what traits I poses, despite if they are good or bad. It makes for a great opportunity to learn more about yourself and grow from it.
返信削除I’m sorry I can’t answer your second question because I have not been fortunate enough to visit a foreign country in my life thus far. Hopefully I won’t always be a poor college student! =)
Others have helped me gain insight into my identity in many positive ways. However, much of it has been up to myself to figure out the accuracy of their input and deciding things about myself independently. I guess that it is a balance, the input of others is vital and they can see things that the person themselves is blind to; but the decision of who we are is always up to us.
返信削除As for the second question, sorry the closet that I've been to a foreign country is Epcot in Disney world. However, I'm saving up to travel, so fingers crossed I'll get to Japan in two or three years.
I have never really paid attention to ascribed identities that have been said about myself. thinking back to when I did hear them though, mostly I knew how I was being viewed by people. The ascribed identities that I did not like, I did not know of until they were said to me.
返信削除If someone has ascribed an identity to me that I feel is accurate, then it has probably crossed my mind before they said it.
返信削除I don't feel like I had another side when I lived in China. I think like I finally had the experience I had waited for my entire life. I feel like my identities did not change, but flourished.
I realized my identy when others told me. I have always kind of thought I was shy, but more so knew it when someone said it to me. People always notice it because I such a non shy father and brother. So they expect me to be like them and I am totally different.
返信削除I have only been to Canada and I did not notice a different side. I thought I was the same person as I was here. But I think if I went to a more differnt place, I would be a completely different person. It just depends on my surroundings.